a birthday cake
Advertisement
11/30/2021

Walgreens Boots Alliance attains remaining stake in McKesson’s GEHE, Alliance Healthcare ventures

Walgreens Boots Alliance will become the owner of the combined GEHE and Alliance Healthcare businesses in Germany.
Sandra Levy
Senior Editor
Sandra Levy profile picture

Walgreens Boots Alliance and McKesson have reached an agreement for WBA to acquire the remaining 30% share of their GEHE Pharma Handel and Alliance Healthcare Deutschland joint venture.

Following this transaction, WBA will become the 100% owner of the combined GEHE and Alliance Healthcare businesses in Germany.

GEHE and AHD successfully combined their operations in the German pharmaceutical market on Nov. 1, 2020. In that transaction, WBA became the 70% owner of the joint venture with McKesson holding the remaining 30%.

[Read more: Walgreens Boots Alliance's strong Q3 fueled by COVID vaccines, international growth]

“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with McKesson to take full control of our joint German pharmaceutical wholesaling operations. This new, exciting step enables Walgreens Boots Alliance to further strengthen its position as a leading pharmaceutical wholesaler in Germany,” Ornella Barra, chief operating officer, International, Walgreens Boots Alliance said. “We thank McKesson for their partnership in forming and developing our joint venture and look forward to further improving our innovative services to manufacturers and pharmacists in Germany.”

This announcement follows McKesson previously sharing in July 2021 the sale of certain European businesses and its intention to exit the European region fully.

“The sale of our minority stake in the GEHE-Alliance Healthcare joint venture in Germany is part of our stated intention to exit the European market to reinvest in strategic growth opportunities elsewhere,” Brian Tyler, McKesson CEO said. “We believe that WBA is an excellent parent company for the GEHE-Alliance Healthcare businesses in Germany and wish our colleagues all the best under their full ownership.”

[Read more: Industry gut check: Are we being strategic?]

The financial terms of the transaction have not been disclosed. 

Advertisement
Advertisement