London Drugs announces oral health screenings after successful pilot
RICHMOND, British Columbia, Canada — London Drugs announced Friday that it would be holding 15 oral health screening clinics in the Vancouver metro area between April 25 and May 18. The clinic initiative follows a successful pilot in 2015, which featured what the chain said was the first oral cancer screening in a pharmacy.
“What began as a three clinic trial with a dental professional in collaboration with our pharmacists in April 2015, quickly grew to 12 clinics in a matter of weeks, during our first ever attempt at this program,” London Drugs VP pharmacy John Tse said. “There is clearly demand for the oral screening and continued need for awareness of oral cancer and oral cancer prevention.”
The screenings for oral cancer — the sixth most-common cancer in the world — are conducted by registered dental hygienist Stacey Rhodes –Nesset and Dr. Ken Neuman, a member of the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Dentistry. Pharmacists will be able to discuss smoking cessation counseling and HPV vaccination (both risk considerations for oral cancer) at the clinics.
“London Drugs' clinics bring incredible awareness to oral cancer screening and the importance of early detection," Neuman said. "The best way to monitor your oral health is to work with your dental care provider either at the dental office or at a screening clinic such as the one offered at London Drugs. This program is especially popular among individuals who might not regularly visit a dentist."
Screenings are done by appointment and cost $25, with $5 being donated to the BC Oral Cancer Prevention Program. Clinics will be held from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the following locations:
- April 25: 710 Granville Street, Vancouver, B.C.
- April 26: Guildford Town Centre, Surrey, B.C.
- April 27: 2091 West 42nd Avenue, Vancouver, B.C.
- April 28: 5639 Victoria Drive, Vancouver, B.C.
- May 2: 5237: 48th Avenue, Delta, B.C.
- May 3: 15355: 24th Avenue, White Rock, B.C.
- May 4: 11666 Steveston Highway, Richmond, B.C.
- May 5: Morgan Crossing, Surrey, B.C.
- May 9: 555 Sixth Street, New Westminster, B.C.
- May 10: 20202 66th Avenue, Langley, B.C.
- May 11: Lougheed Town Centre, Burnaby, B.C.
- May 12: 22709 Lougheed Highway, Maple Ridge, B.C.
- May 16: 2032 Lonsdale Avenue, North Vancouver, B.C.
- May 17: 525 West Broadway, Vancouver, B.C.
- May 18: 2230 West Broadway, Vancouver, B.C.
No comments found
Loading Post Please Wait...