Walgreens offers veterans and active duty military Memorial Day discount
DEERFIELD, Ill. — To celebrate the service and commitment of the nation’s military and honor the men and women who gave their lives in service to our country, Walgreens is offering a Memorial Day discount to all veterans and active duty military personnel.
On Monday, May 27, shoppers with a valid military ID or proof of service will receive 15% off eligible store items and 20% off Walgreens, Nice! and W brand products at any Walgreens or Duane Reade drugstore nationwide.
“As the Memorial Day celebrations begin with community parades and family barbeques, we wanted to express our gratitude to those who served or are currently serving our nation. We are grateful for their service, sacrifice and courage,” said Mark Wagner, Walgreens president of operations and community management. “Offering a discount to these heroic servicemen and -women is one way we can show our appreciation and give back. We are always pleased to honor the military and do our part to participate in this national day of remembrance.”
Like this story? Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news. Join the conversation.
CVS Caremark’s Merlo named March of Dimes 2013 Citizen of the Year
PROVIDENCE, R.I. — CVS Caremark President and CEO Larry Merlo has been named the 2013 March of Dimes Rhode Island 2013 Citizen of the Year for his and the company’s ongoing support of the March of Dimes mission.
Merlo will be honored for the achievement at a June 18 reception held at the Providence Public Library. The recognition and fundraising event will take place as part of the 75th anniversary year of March of Dimes and the 50th anniversary year of the pharmacy innovation company.
The celebration honoring Merlo is being chaired by Deborah Thomas, CFO of Hasbro and 2010 recipient of the March of Dimes Citizen of the Year award, and will include guest speakers Jennifer Howse, president of the national March of Dimes Foundation, and James Roosevelt, Jr., CEO of Tufts Health Plan and grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who founded the March of Dimes to bring an end to polio 75 years ago.
“The support that CVS Caremark has provided to the March of Dimes for over a dozen years has been vital in helping the organization fulfill its mission of working together for stronger, healthier babies. Through Larry’s leadership and the company’s commitment to being an incredible community partner, the nation’s tiniest human beings are being given a boost for a healthy start in life,” Thomas stated.
Thomas emphasized the “tremendous state, regional and national support that CVS Caremark has provided to March of Dimes over the years,” highlighting several initiatives, including the company’s support of the March of Dimes of Rhode Island NICU Family Support Project and the March of Dimes Mom and Baby Mobile Health Units. The Project, which Hasbro joins CVS Caremark as staunch supporters of, assists more than 1,100 families annually at Women and Infants Hospital, providing them with information and comfort during the NICU hospitalization of newborns, and help during the transition to home and in the event of death. The Mobile Health Units provide services for women and children in rural areas around the country.
Merlo, who has more than 30 years of pharmacy health care experience, stated, “It’s an honor to be recognized, and I commend the March of Dimes for the work they are doing to help expectant moms and ensure they have the healthiest babies. Our purpose of helping people on their path to better health aligns with the March of Dimes’ mission, and we couldn’t be more proud of our long-standing partnership to improve health outcomes for children and families in our home state.”
Rx Systems PF develops new D-Fine line for women with fine, thinning hair
ST. LOUIS, Mo. — Looking to help women battle fine and thinning hair, Dr. Lawrence Samuels, chief of Dermatology at St. Luke’s Hospital in St. Louis and founder of skin and hair care product line Rx Systems PF, has formulated a line of hair-volumizing products and supplements called D-Fine.
The products are designed to repair damaged hair strands, deliver nourishment and moisture to the hair and scalp, and build healthier, more voluminous hair.
The D-Fine line of hair volumizing products includes shampoos, conditioners and vitamin supplements formulated to strengthen and thicken hair while promoting hair growth:
- Volumizing Glypoic Shampoo ($17.50) — Developed with Glypoic Complex to repair the surface of the scalp, sweeping away oil, bacteria and dead skin cells from scalp and hair. Formulated for fine, thinning or chemically treated hair. Generates body and volume for visibly healthier, fuller hair.
- Volumizing Glypoic Conditioner ($17.50) — Promises to improve overall body, thickness and manageability for visibly healthier hair. Restores moisture content and pH of the scalp and hair. Formulated for daily use on fine, thinning or chemically treated hair.
- Physician Strength Shampoo ($17.50) — Developed with a polyhydroxy acid formula to decrease scalp itching and scaliness associated with scalp conditions, such as psoriasis, seborrhea and eczema. Treats scalp conditions by sweeping away oil, bacteria and dead skin cells from scalp and hair to create visibly healthier scalp and hair. Formulated for all hair types, including chemically treated hair.
- Deep Repair Protein Conditioner ($13.90) – Fortified with keratin amino acids and panthenol. Developed to restore pH and moisturize dry, damaged or chemically treated hair. Penetrates deep into the hair shaft to repair damaged keratin protein.
- Multiplex Defense Vitamins ($22.50 for 100 ct. bottle) A natural supplement formulated to strengthen hair and nails and promote healthier skin and scalp. Promotes skin elasticity, moisture, microcirculation and resistance to damaging factors, such as ultraviolet damage and stress.
- Aminoplex Repair Vitamins ($23.50 for 100 ct. bottle) – A natural supplement formulated with essential amino acids necessary for hair, skin and nail growth. Rejuvenates brittle and thinning hair for a visibly thicker, healthier appearance. Also promotes nail growth and strength.