Survey: Seniors support strong patient safeguards for biosimilar medications
- 92% wanted a requirement that drug companies test the safety of biosimilars for all conditions the drug will be used to treat;
- 86% wanted a requirement that drug companies that are developing biosimilars conduct human clinical trials to ensure a given biosimilar is safe;
- 90% believed that the name of the biosimilar should be different than the original biologic medicine to allow for adequate tracking of any adverse reactions;
- 91% want physicians to be notified when a biosimilar is substituted for the original biologic drug they prescribed for their patient; and
- 94% believe patients should be notified when a biosimilar is substituted for the original drug prescribed by their doctor.
Arctic Ease begins selling small joints wrap
New York — Arctic Ease, a company that makes cold and compression therapy products, announced Tuesday that it had launched its small joints wrap.
The wrap, a smaller version of the company’s Cold Therapy Wrap, is meant to relieve wrist, ankle and elbow pain, and will retail for $9.99. The wraps can stay cool without being put in a refrigerator and can stay on during activities.
“Consumers love the cooling and compression power of the full size wrap, and some were already custom fitting that wrap for their smaller aches and pains by cutting the wraps on their own,” the company said, adding that the new wrap is “ideal for active adults on the go.”
Arctic Ease recently teamed with Ironman for a three-year integration deal with the triathlon.
Alliance Labs launches OTC hospital-strength mini-enemas
Phoenix — Two new over-the-counter enemas are offering quick constipation relief without having to wait for a hospital visit.
Alliance Labs announced Tuesday that it would be offering hospital-strength mini-enemas DocuSol and DocuSol Plus at Rite Aid pharmacies, as well as on Amazon.com and Drugstore.com.
The two products use an active ingredient that helps the bowel function normally, usually clearing up constipation in two to 15 minutes. DocuSol Plus contains the topical pain reliever benzocaine for those with hemorrhoids.
DocuSol and DocuSol plus will be sold in boxes of five tubes.