Special edition ‘Shark Week’ arrives on Blu-ray, DVD
NEW YORK Gaiam has released a special collection of Discovery Channel’s monster hit.
Discovery Channel’s hit show, “Shark Week,” now is available in a special compilation on Blu-ray and DVD. The Jaws of Steel collection features never-before-released programs premiered on Discovery as a part of the highly anticipated and highly rated Shark Week event, which has been captivating fans for more than 20 years.
Shark Week: Jaws of Steel collection includes such special episodes as:
- Great White Appetite: One of the most feared predators on earth, the great white shark seems to be the perfect hunter. But, there is still so little known about this creature. Former Marine Charles Ingram travels the globe, testing and learning the limits of these sharks
- Deadly Waters: Survivorman’s Les Stroud ventures to five of the most notorious shark-infested waters in the world to find out which is the most dangerous
- Sharkbite Summer: The bite-by-bite account of America’s notorious “Summer of the Shark.” Were the ocean’s apex predators really taking back America’s shores?
- Day of the Shark II: What puts a shark into attack mode at certain times of the day? This harrowing hour uncovers the science behind shark attacks
- Blood in the Water: The true story behind the bloody shark attacks of 1916 that inspired the movie “Jaws”
- Shark After Dark: A team of divers descends into the dangerous after-dark hunting ground of sharks.
This set also includes exclusive, previously unreleased bonus episodes for all shark lovers:
- Shark Under Glass: Explore the latest shark programs at aquariums across the country. From the Shark Bay exhibit in Tampa, Fla., to the great white shark exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium, research is yielding exciting information about these fearsome predators. A Shark Week classic!
- Cash Cab – Shark Week Edition: Unsuspecting New York City taxi passengers hail a cab and find themselves on a TV game show. In this Shark Week edition, contestants can win cash by correctly answering questions about sharks. Get three questions wrong, and they’re out on the street.
Shark Week: Jaws of Steel Collection carries an SRP of $19.98 on DVD, $24.98 for Blu-ray, with a total runtime of 366 minutes.
FDA approves OraSure Technologies’ hepatitis C test
SILVER SPRING, Md. The Food and Drug Administration has approved a new rapid blood test for detecting hepatitis C, the agency said Friday.
The FDA approved Bethlehem, Pa.-based OraSure Technologies’ OraQuick HCV rapid antibody test, a test strip that delivers results in about 20 minutes. The test however, is not approved for HCV screening of the general population.
About 3.2 million people in the United States are chronically infected with HCV, and 17,000 people are newly infected each year. The disease can lead to liver disease and cancer, and is associated with around 12,000 deaths in the United States annually.
“Approval of OraQuick means that more patients can be notified of their HCV infection faster so that they can consult with their physicians for appropriate health measures,” FDA Center for Devices and Radiological Health director Jeffrey Shuren stated. “Getting faster treatment is an important public health step to control this dangerous disease.”
A&P expands Live Better!
MONTVALE, N.J. The A&P family of supermarkets has expanded the Live Better! Wellness Club for its A&P, SuperFresh, Waldbaum’s and Pathmark stores throughout the Northeast to include a new incentives program.
Fresh & Healthy Rewards provides Live Better! members with 20%-off coupons when they spend $50 in the produce section. Customers can sign up for the Live Better! wellness club at the courtesy desk or pharmacy department of their local A&P, SuperFresh, Waldbaum’s and Pathmark supermarkets.
The supermarket chain said the new program reflects its committment to providing shoppers with budget-friendly ways to maintain a healthy lifestyle.