Procter and Gamble director joins GMA as senior EVP, operations and industry affairs
WASHINGTON — The Grocery Manufacturers Association today announced it has appointed Jim Flannery, who recently served as managing director, customer development, for Procter & Gamble’s global operations, as the company’s senior EVP, operations and industry affairs.
“I am pleased that Jim Flannery is joining the GMA team,” said Pamela G. Bailey, GMA president and CEO. “Given his life-long experience and success in the consumer packaged goods industry, and his in-depth knowledge of so many of the important issues GMA manages on behalf of its members, no one is better positioned than him to advance GMA’s member-driven agenda.”
In his new role, Flannery will lead the association’s industry affairs practice and have primary responsibility for developing and implementing collaborative relationships, initiatives and programs with retailers and their trade associations across all retail channels. In addition, he will help the organization identify and implement innovative services and programs that will increase association revenue and enhance the value of GMA membership.
Flannery spent 36 years at P&G, holding various positions in customer business development and market strategy and planning.
He has also held volunteer leadership positions at GMA, the Food Marketing Institute and Efficient Consumer Response-Asia. He was also instrumental in the creation of the Consumer Goods Forum.
“I am thrilled to be joining the GMA team,” said Flannery. “GMA plays an important role in driving efficiency, enabling growth and providing responsible public policy solutions for its member companies, and I look forward to working with GMA’s members, retailer and supplier organizations and GMA staff to take the association to an even higher level of effectiveness.”
A native of New York, Flannery holds a B.A. degree in human resources management from Upsala College in East Orange, New Jersey.
He will report to Bailey, and will serve as a member of the GMA senior leadership team beginning July 15.
Based in Washington, D.C., the Grocery Manufacturers Association is an active, vocal advocate for its member companies and a trusted source of information about the industry and the products consumers rely on and enjoy every day. The association and its member companies are committed to meeting the needs of consumers through product innovation, responsible business practices and effective public policy solutions developed through partnerships with policymakers and other stakeholders. He has also held volunteer leadership positions at GMA, the Food Marketing Institute and Efficient Consumer Response-Asia. He was also instrumental in the creation of the Consumer Goods Forum.
Are you a nurse practitioner or physician’s assistant? Join our Facebook group to get all the latest news dedicated to delivering healthcare services to patients in retail pharmacy clinics.
Walgreens helps raise $8.5 million for Susan G. Komen Foundation
DALLAS — More than $8.5 million raised by customers from Walgreens will help pay for treatment support and screenings for breast cancer patients in communities across the country the Susan G. Komen Foundation announced Thursday.
“Walgreens and its customers across the country are helping to make a huge difference for women and men facing breast cancer,” stated Komen’s chief mission officer, Chandini Portteus. “These funds will help us improve access to quality cancer care for low-income and medically underserved people, as we enhance access to screenings and continue to educate women about their risk for this disease.”
Nearly half of the $8.5 million donated by customers will be used to fund community health and education programs in local communities served by Komen’s national network of Affiliates. Another $2 million will be used specifically to support screening mammograms for medically underserved women, through grants to local nonprofit organizations. The remainder of the funds will be used to expand Komen’s national breast care helpline, provide treatment assistance and support special initiatives for vulnerable populations.
The money raised will be directed to local community health programs granted through Komen’s nationwide Affiliate network, which paid for more than 700,000 breast screenings in 2011 and provided financial social and patient support to another 100,000 women and men in 2011 alone.
“These funds will help us enhance the programs Komen Affiliates already fund to serve the most vulnerable populations in our neighborhoods,” added Carol Corcoran, Komen SVP of the Affiliate Network. “Our entire Affiliate Network is deeply appreciative to Walgreens and Walgreens customers for their generosity and commitment to ending this disease.”
Komen further recognized the generosity of Walgreens and its customers during the recent 2013 Susan G. Komen Leadership Conference held in Dallas. The retailer was honored with Komen’s prestigious “Mission Possible” award, given each year to the Komen partner who is responsible for the most significant assistance in enabling Komen to save lives and end breast cancer forever.
HBA Global announces best in beauty packaging, emerging brands, new innovations
NEW YORK — HBA Global, a product development event for the beauty and personal care industry, has announced the winners of several industry awards for innovations in package design, emerging brands and suppliers’ new products.
The on-site New Product Showcase at HBA Global, held June 18 to 20 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City, had attendees voting for their favorite finished products and packaging innovations from global suppliers and emerging beauty and personal care manufacturers.
The HBA Global 2013 People’s Choice Best Finished Products:
- Resvology for its Age Corrective Eye Cream & Age Corrective Wrinkle Treatment.
- TwinLuxe LLC for its anti-ageing SPF moisturizer, infused with stem cells and high levels of antioxidants.
The HBA Global 2013 People’s Choice Best Packaging Products:
- 3C Inc. for its double wall spray bottles. Its eyeliner pens, available in six different designs, with a soft brush or nylon tip, and an airtight cap that protects the applicator from drying out was also a People’s Choice.
- Guangzhou Ouxinmay Packaging Co. for its new Cosmetic Sponge Tube.
During the three days of the HBA Global event, attendees also visited the SPLASH! Pavilion and voted for their favorite emerging brands.
The Best of SPLASH! 2013:
- The Beauty Co. for its line of Kumiko 100% natural skin care sponges that nourish the skin while removing impurities and loosening skin cells to deliver clean skin without the need for cleansing products.
- Resvology again for its skincare brand based upon the 4-AR Molecule solution to help tackle the specific aspects of aging skin – fine lines and wrinkles, loss of firmness and uneven skin tone.
The winners of the beauty industries only packaging design competition were also announced by celebrity presenter, Jacqueline Laurita, reality star of “Real Housewives of New Jersey” and founder of Altruistic Beauty.
The HBA International Package Design Awards (IPDA) grand award and category winners:
- Tom Binns for Lisa Hoffman Beauty Fine Fragrance Jewelry by Lisa Hoffman Beauty/Tom Binns was the grand award winner and category winner for Fragrance Prestige
- The Curve by NYX Cosmetics for cosmetics mass
- Peak Performance Mascara by Pop Beauty for cosmetics prestige
- Royal Copenhagen 1775 by Five Star Fragrance Co. for fragrance mass
- L’Oreal Paris Advanced Haircare by L’Oreal Paris for hair care
- Stila for E! Live from the Red Carpet Solar Illuminated Refillable Compact and Powder Duo by Stila for E! Live from the Red Carpet for innovations in sustainable packaging
- Dove Men + Care Face Care and Shaving by Unilever–Dove for personal care mass
- MDSolarSciences by MDSolarSciences for personal care prestige
- Artistry Intensive Skincare 14 Night Restore Program by Amway for sampling/travel-size packaging
- Fresh Effects by Olay for skin care mass
- Caudalie by Caudalie for skin care prestige
- Goldfaden MD by Nadia Yousif for Goldfaden MD for skin care product lines
- Macro Exfoliator by Rodan + Fields Dermatologists for tools and at-home devices
The next HBA Global Expo & Conference will take place June 10 to 12, 2014 at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center in New York City.