Nielsen: Opportunities abound for branded produce
In any grocery store, consumers are met with an abundance of produce to meet each and every one of their needs. Fresh produce that either falls into the organic category or has a farmer's market feel to it has become the main priority for consumers. As the number of these types of offerings has grown through the years, so have the number of opportunities available brands to make their presence known within this category — that’s according to a new report from Nielsen
The report notes that the produce department has grown by $13.2 billion between 2012 and 2016. Within that margin, branded produce dollar shares have increased an average 7.7 points, making up 38.5% of total produce dollars. This increase also has led to a growth in such produce snacks as fruit cups, dried fruit and nut snack mixes. The category is now a $1.1 billion market, with a $44 million increase and representation of 72% dollar shares.
“Thirty-two percent of consumers want produce that is organic and doesn’t contain artificial ingredients. Thanks to their ability to communicate label claims on packaging and through larger marketing efforts, brands can clearly communicate exactly how products meet shoppers’ changing needs,” the report says.
Communication is another key facet of this growth, with brands now being able to convey their message to consumers in an array of ways — in part due to social media and in-store advertising. The report highlights that within the last year, less than 10% of produce brands spent any budget on advertising, with only two companies accounting for 77% of produce media spent.
A continuation of this strategy along with the implementation of engaging directly with the targeted audience could boost even further the sales and quantity of products being marketed to consumers.
Walgreens relaunches Nice!
DEERFIELD, Ill. — Walgreens recently re-launched its Nice! own brand proposition with fresh packaging and a new campaign touting the private label food line with a focus on “great taste from the source.” Emphasizing on whole ingredients, the rebranded line adheres to the clean label trend by weeding out trans fats, artificial sweeteners and artificial coloring and incorporating non-GMO, gluten-free and certified organic ingredients.
The new Nice! line, with 1,000 SKUs across 25 categories, has been organized into three tiers: Everyday, Premium and Organic.
“The packaging is fantastic,” Alex Gourlay, Walgreens Boots Alliance co-COO, recently told investors. “It is doing really well early on, and that’s a roll-in, roll-out. So again, we will continue to improve the quality of our products and the quality of our value and improve the convenience as part of that model.”
Walgreens’ Nice! proposition was first introduced onto shelves in 2012, replacing a number of Walgreens house brands including Cafe W, Deerfield Farms and W, and included more than 400 high-quality grocery and household products.
Limited-edition holiday snacks from PepsiCo make their debut
PURCHASE, N.Y. — PepsiCo is getting into the holiday spirit by unveiling limited-edition consumables to fit any occasion. From salty to sweet and everything in between, the company is debuting more than ten items ranging from granola bars, to beverages and chips.
For those who wish to get a jump on their mornings, PepsiCo will be offering new launches from Starbucks and Quaker that will include:
- Starbucks Peppermint Mocha Latte – Inspired by a seasonal favorite, this limited-time version combines bold, brewed espresso, chilled milk and natural holiday flavors like peppermint and chocolate. It will be available for the suggested retail price of $2.79 for 14-fluid ounces;
- Quaker Life Cereal and Chewy Bars in Gingerbread Spice – The cereal will be available for the suggested retail price of $3.59 for 13 oz., and $4.49 for 18 oz. The Chewy Bars will be sold for $3.29 for a count of eight and $3.99 for a count of 12;
- Cap'n Crunch's Christmas Crunch – A limited-edition holiday cereal featuring signature Cap'n Crunch corn pieces, with red and green Crunch Berries in holiday-themed shapes. It will be sold for the suggested retail price of $3.49 for 13-oz., and $4.29 for 18oz.; and
- Quaker Life Cereal in Pumpkin Spice – This limited time holiday flavor will be sold for the suggested retail price of $3.59 for 13-oz. and $4.49 for 18 oz.
For consumers looking to purchase chips or pretzels, the company will be selling favorites such as Cheetos and Stacy's Pita Chips in an array of flavors that include cinnamon, peppermint, cheddar, chocolate and more. The latest additions are:
- Cheetos Sweetos Holiday Cinnamon Sugar Puffs – A limited-time snack in a holiday shape for those with a sweet tooth. The 2.625 oz. size will be available for the suggested retail price of $1.49, and the 7-oz. size for $3.49;
- Cheetos Snowflakes – A white cheddar snack available in four festive snowflake shapes. The 2.625 oz., retails for the suggested price of $1.49, and the 7-oz. size for $3.49;
- Stacy's Cinnamon Sugar Flavored Pita Chips – These cinnamon sugar pita chips are a delicious sweet treat to enjoy on their own, with a festive dip or a cup of coffee. This product is availble for the suggested retail price of $2.2 for 7 oz. and $5.84 for 8 oz.;
- Lay's Wavy Dipped in Chocolate – Chocolate-dipped potato chips are available for a limited time for the suggested reatil price of $3.99 for 5 oz.; and
- Rold Gold Dipped Pretzels – Classic or Peppermint flavor options can be purchased for the suggested retail price of $3.99 for 8.5 oz.
Consumers looking to quench their thirst will have options available to them that include notes of caramel and other holiday spices from Pepsi and IZZE. These products are:
- LIFEWTR Holiday Gift Set – Will include art by Series 1 artists Craig & Karl, including a specially designed bottle, embossed notebook and felt tip pens. This gift set will be sold on Amazon.com and Walmart.com for the suggested retail price of $20 for 1 ltr.;
- Mtn Dew Holiday Brew – A limited-time combination of Mtn Dew's original flavors, green Mtn Dew and Mtn Dew Code Red. Consumers will be able to purchase the 12-fluid ounce size of this product for the suggested retail price of $1.89, and a pack of 12 for $4.99;
- Pepsi Salted Caramel – A new, limited-time flavor blends the refreshing taste of cola with a delicious caramel finish. It will be available for the suggested retail price of $1.79 for 20 fl. oz.;
- Pepsi and Mtn Dew Holiday Multi-Packs – Created with holiday-themed graphics and include free coupons inside of specially marked packs of Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Pepsi Zero Sugar, Pepsi Wild Cherry, Mtn Dew and Diet Mtn Dew. The 12-fluid ounce sizes will be sold for the suggested retail prices of $7.99 for a pack of 24 and $10.49 for a pack of 36; and
- IZZE Cranberry Orange Spice – Contains a sweet and sparkly taste. This item can be found in a Costco holiday pack, which will also include the Apple Pomegranate flavor. The 12-fluid ounce size will retail for the suggested price of $4.99 for pack of four and $8.99 for a pack of eight.