Immunizations app incorporates pharmacy finder with latest update
DEERFIELD, Ill. — The newly updated Immunizations app on the Apple App Store allows users to find pharmacies and clinics that provide free or low-cost immunizations and keep a digital record of your vaccines for quick and easy access, a Walgreens blogger announced Monday.
"Using the file of locations that we provided, the app has integrated the locations of every Walgreens in the United States. Users can search and contact their local pharmacist with all the immunization information right at their fingertips," wrote Drew Schweinfurth.
It's an example of how a third party developer can utilize Walgreens data via the company's Walgreens API program.
"The overall idea of the app is to make it easier for patients to have everything they need in regards to immunizations, such as locations to get vaccinated, educational resources and the ability to record their vaccines in the app," noted the app's developer Sunny Nagra. "It also empowers pharmacists to list their own pharmacies in the app if they provide immunizations at their location.”
The free app is available for download from the App Store.
Iowa Board of Pharmacy to hear testimony on medical use of marijuana
DES MOINES, Iowa — The Iowa Board of Pharmacy is revisiting advocating the medical use of marijuana to state legislators, according to a report in The Des Moines Register published Tuesday.
According to the report, a committee of the board will meet Nov. 17 to hear testimony on the issue.
The pharmacy board recommended the medical use of marijuana in 2010, but legislators declined to approve the board's recommendation. A Des Moines Register's Iowa Poll conducted last spring found that 59% of Iowa adults supported making marijuana legal for medical purposes.
MediSafe app expands medication management platform
BY DSN STAFF
BOSTON — MediSafe expanded its medication management platform to offer users a contextual personalized medication experience through a feed based on users’ medications. When tapping a button labeled “The Feed” users can request access to health content revolving around their condition.
“Developing a technological daily health companion to help in managing one’s health, is a clear way to address the major challenges of medication management such as forgetfulness, low engagement and even cost,” said MediSafe CEO Omri Shor. “MediSafe’s solution provides a set of unique tools, increasing the level of patient engagement. We’re excited to take our solution to the next level with the first-ever contextual and personalized Feed in the healthcare space.”
MediSafe is a medication management platform that provides educational and significant information supporting a user’s medical questions. MediSafe has been downloaded for free in Google Play and the iTunes App Store more than 1 million times and has reminded users to take more than 75 million doses. Its users have an average medication adherence rate of 86%, compared with the 50% average adherence figure for the general population cited by both the World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Feed is creating content for better understanding medications and their implications. The Feed creates better engagement by providing access to informative content, self-measurements and social support.
For example, a patient taking medication for diabetes will see Feed items, such as a video about their condition, and then have the ability to insert glucose levels. They can find information about their medication and how it is helping in managing their condition. There also are tips on leading a healthy lifestyle with diabetes and a new discount card when they receive a reminder to fill their prescription — all new features.
The personalized feed can be compared to Google Now in that it offers relevant information at the most opportune time. In the way Facebook uses advanced algorithms to present an entirely different wall for every user in the world, the Feed will present a one-of-a-kind library and daily tips and information for each MediSafe user.
Users are now equipped with such "contextualized items" as:
- Patient Education: Users can browse information surrounding their medications and develop a better understanding of their condition;
- Health Tips and Content: Health tips and informative content from leading online health publications;
- Medication Discounts: When it is time to refill prescriptions, a discount card is available for medication purchases in leading pharmacies in the U.S.;
- Biofeedback: Users have the ability to insert their vitals into the platform in order to provide, keep, track and share additional information with their physician. These vitals now integrate in Apple HealthKit, starting with the user’s glucose levels;
- Reminder and Prescription Refills: Reminders will now be presented in the Feed as well, summarizing the user’s daily medication intake;
- Family and Friend Notifications: If assigned ‘Med-Friends’ fail to take their medications on time, the notification will now appear in the Feed in addition to the existing alert; and
- Positive Reinforcement Feedback: Weekly progress updates on medication intake, providing positive feedback to the user.
Loading Post Please Wait...