Idenix commences proof-of-concept study for hepatitis C drug
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. Idenix Pharmaceuticals has started a proof-of-concept study of an investigational drug for hepatitis C currently in mid-stage clinical development, the drug maker said Thursday.
The study will involve eight patients with hepatitis C who have not received previous treatment taking the drug IDX320 in four doses ranging from 50 mg to 400 mg over three days. The drug is currently in phase 2a trials.
“We are encouraged by the results seen to date with IDX320 and are hopeful that future clinical studies will allow us to continue advancing this program with the ultimate goal of treating a wide range of patients infected with HCV,” Idenix chief medical officer Douglas Mayers said.
NACDS conference brings success, energy to the table
SAN DIEGO Uniting suppliers and manufacturers proved a success at National Association of Chain Drug Stores’ 2010 Marketplace Conference, which concluded Tuesday afternoon in San Diego.
Boasted as the largest convergence of drug, food, mass, club and value retailing in the United States, the NACDS Marketplace Conference featured new product showcases, category manager meet-and-greets and more. Representatives from such chains as Chain Drug Consortium, Costco, CVS Caremark, Kmart, Meijer, Shopko, Walgreens and Wegmans were present to provide visitors with industry insights.
Among the conference’s events were the Meet the Market program, Meet the Retailer/ How to Do Business With sessions and a product showcase on the exhibition floor. Evaluated by the retail attendees, winners of this year’s “Product Showcase” are:
- Baby Care Company: Bean-B-Clean Product: Bean-B-Clean (Scalp Massaging Brush)
- Consumables Company: Crunchies Food Co. Product: Crunchies (all natural freeze dried fruits and veggies)
- Cosmetics and Fragrances Company: U.S. Cotton, LLC Product: Swisspers exfoliating cotton facial cleansing pads
- General Merchandise Company: FGX International Product: LightSpecs by Foster Grant
- Healthcare/OTC Company: TECNIMED Product: Thermofocus, the original 5-1 non contact thermometer
- Home Healthcare Company: Drive Medical Design & Manufacturing Product: Glow & Go folding cane
- Personal Care/HBC Company: Zeno Corp. Product: Zeno Hot Spot blemish clearing device
“This year’s NACDS Marketplace Conference was an overall success and the atmosphere was full of energy,” said NACDS president and CEO Steve Anderson. “From the Meet the Market program to the education sessions and the exhibit floor, NACDS continues to provide attendees an effective and efficient meeting geared toward their needs.”
FDA releases sun safety video
SILVER SPRING, Md. Summer is a time when millions of Americans make their way to beaches, parks and vacation spots, but they also could be putting themselves at risk for skin and eye damage caused by ultraviolet radiation from the sun.
The Food and Drug Administration has posted a short video on its website designed to show consumers how to protect themselves from UV rays. The video features FDA dermatologist Jane Liedtka and FDA ophthalmologist Wiley Chambers explaining the need for sunscreen and sunglasses, and what kinds consumers should buy.