PHILADELPHIA — Walgreens opened its latest flagship here on July 31 in the City of Brotherly Love only one block away from Philadelphia City Hall, featuring 26,000 sq. ft. across three floors — the second floor is an extension of Walgreens' "Fresh" concept and houses the FroYo bar and a Philadelphia pretzel stand.
The third floor features the original ceiling and chandeliers from 1932, when the building was occupied by Wanamaker's Men's Store. Like Walgreens, Wanamaker was a trailblazing retailer one century ago. The building later became known as the PNB Building, having been bought by Philadelphia National Bank in 1952. The building's most recent retail tenant was Border's.
But now Walgreens is bringing back a little of the original swagger of Wanamaker's, which in the 1930s was intended to rival European department stores, with its signature beauty department and service-focused pharmacy area.
Also featured prominently are many Pennsylvania-centric companies, including Hershey's and Crayola.