- Bi-Lo Holdings launches Paws 'Feed the Love' Community Donation Program
- Bi-Lo Holdings to rebrand 17 Sweetbay stores under its Winn-Dixie banner
- Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie offer prescriptions at no upfront cost to insurance marketplace enrollees
- Bi-Lo Holdings to convert some Harveys to Winn-Dixie and vice versa
- Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie collectively raise more than $450,000 in support of Susan G. Komen
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Winn-Dixie Stores on Wednesday named Laurence Appel SVP retail operations, reporting to Peter Lynch, Winn-Dixie's chairman, CEO and president.
Appel succeeds Frank Eckstein, who has retired from his current role but will continue to serve in an advisory capacity until the end of fiscal year 2011.
Appel joined Winn-Dixie in 2002 and served as general counsel, corporate secretary and SVP human resources prior to the new appointment.
Appel will be succeeded as general counsel by Timothy Williams, who joined Winn-Dixie in 2003 and formerly served as assistant general counsel; and as SVP human resources by Anita Dahlstrom-Gutel, who joined Winn-Dixie almost two years ago and formerly served as VP corporate human resources and talent acquisition/management. In each of their respective new roles, both will report to Lynch.
Winn-Dixie also announced that Dan Portnoy, SVP and chief merchandising and marketing officer resigned. Mary Kellmanson, group VP marketing; Matt Gutermuth, group VP nonperishables, pricing and corporate brands; James Smits, group VP perishables; and John Fegan, VP pharmacy, jointly will assume Portnoy’s responsibilities. All four also will report directly to Lynch.
"I want to thank both Frank and Dan for their many contributions, and especially their efforts to build very capable teams that are well-prepared to support the company as we execute our strategic initiatives and drive the business forward,” Lynch stated. “On behalf of the entire company, we wish them all the best."