- The 10 products you may have missed at Natural Products Expo East
- Weis Markets president and CEO resigns
- ‘Out of this world’ display takes top nod in annual Design of the Times awards
- Reports: Kroger to expand Little Clinic footprint as part of healthcare play
- Fresh food could help drive more loyalty for Amazon
SUNBURY, Pa. — Weis Markets has launched its fifth annual Fight Hunger Food Drive, a monthlong program offering customers an opportunity to donate to local food banks and emergency food providers.
Running from Sept. 2 to 30, the chain-wide program gives customers the option of donating $3, $5 and $10 vouchers, which can be purchased at any Weis Markets' cash register. One hundred percent of the proceeds will be given to area food banks in the form of gift card donations so they can easily fill in any gaps in their food supplies, the company said.
"Food banks and pantries continue to tell us their demand has grown significantly in recent years and that they expect it to continue to grow in the months ahead," Weis Markets president and CEO David Hepfinger said. "Our combined goal is to generate one million meals for the twelve food banks and one hundred emergency food providers who are working with our stores."
Weis Markets said it will supplement its customer donations with a $200,000 corporate donation.