- The 10 products you may have missed at Natural Products Expo East
- ‘Out of this world’ display takes top nod in annual Design of the Times awards
- Sneakz shake gets national launch
- Canada's Shoppers Drug Mart posts Q4 results
- Reports: Kroger to expand Little Clinic footprint as part of healthcare play
EDGEWOOD, Md. — Wegmans delivered 13,848 lbs. of nonperishable food to Harford Community Action Agency here, the company announced Friday. The donation included 20 pallets of condiments, baking, breakfast, pasta, cereal and crackers.
“We’re grateful to Wegmans for this delivery. It couldn’t come at a better time,” HCAA executive director Judy Mason said. “Our shelves are always emptier in the summer when food donations are slow and kids are out of school." Mason added that the community need for that donated food is on the rise. "Our pantry is on pace to feed more than 1,000 families this month — 25% more than we served in July.”
Last year, Wegmans donated more than 16 million lbs. of food to area food banks in all of its market areas.
Wegmans also makes it easy for shoppers to join in supporting local hunger relief efforts by participating in annual programs where shoppers who wish to make a donation at checkout can have any amount added to their bill. Since 1993, Wegmans has raised more than $16 million for hunger relief.