- Diab to head up health and wellness at Walmart
- Walmart expanding small store fleet based on fresh- and pharmacy-driven growth
- Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Ointment
- Family Dollar elevates Jason Reiser to chief merchandising officer; president and COO Michael Bloom departs
- Sluggish sales at Walmart, profit outlook lowered
MISSISSAUGA, Ontario — Walmart Canada is stepping up its presence in the country this month with the opening of the most stores in the company's history.
By the end of October, the company will complete 30 real estate projects. They include two supercenter conversions and 28 new stores, which were formerly Zellers stores. Of the 28 Zellers locations, 10 will be supercentres and 18 will be discount stores. The 30 stores employ more than 3,000 associates and represent an addition of nearly 2.4 million square feet of retail space.
"This is an exciting month for Walmart Canada," said Jim Thompson, COO at Walmart Canada. "We are Canada's fastest growing retailer and our 30 openings in October demonstrate our commitment to bringing everyday low prices to Canadians from coast-to-coast."
The 30 projects are part of 73 real estate projects planned for the company's current fiscal year, which will add 4.6 million sq. ft. of retail space to its operations by Jan. 31, 2013.
As of Oct. 31, the company will have completed 50 of the 73 real estate projects planned for the year bringing the company's store count to 367 stores: 193 supercenters and 174 discount stores.