- Walgreens partners with United Nations Foundation's Shot@Life campaign
- On the heels of Q3, Walgreens outlines shift in front-end strategy and pharmacy tailwinds looking forward
- Shot@Life program ambassador Amanda Peet gets flu shot in NYC Walgreens to support 'Get a Shot, Give a Shot'
- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- CNNMoney sits down with Walgreens chief to discuss future of health care and what it means for pharmacy
DEERFIELD, Ill. — Walgreens on Wednesday announced it is offering more than $10 million worth of free flu shot vouchers to Americans without health insurance coverage. The Department of Health and Human Services is assisting in the distribution of the vouchers in markets across the country.
“With the help and support of HHS, we’ve been able to provide free access to flu vaccine to people in need and improve immunization rates in underserved communities,” stated Kermit Crawford, Walgreens president of pharmacy, health and wellness services and solutions. “Together, and with the ongoing dedication of our pharmacists, Take Care Clinic nurse practitioners and other immunizations-trained clinicians, we’re making an impact and helping to keep people healthy throughout the flu season.”
“Last season, more than 40% of Americans got their flu shots but there are still millions of people who are without adequate insurance and unable to afford one," HHS secretary Kathleen Sebelius said. "This generous donation is helping many people who otherwise might not be protected from influenza. HHS looks forward to working with local community pharmacies as we continue to reduce health disparities and make it possible for more individuals and families to get their annual flu vaccine.”
Local public health officials, in conjunction with HHS regional health administrators, already have begun distributing the vouchers through a variety of community outreach efforts, including through many local health agencies and select community partner organizations. More than 300,000 vouchers are available to eligible U.S. residents.
Vouchers are good for one flu shot at any Walgreens pharmacy (excluding Puerto Rico), Duane Reade pharmacy in New York or Take Care Clinic, and are subject to the terms and conditions on the voucher.