- Shoppers Drug Mart report: Allowing pharmacists in Canada to immunize could save lives, money
- Walgreens firing on all cylinders as chain realizes a total comp sales increase of 5.4% for its first quarter
- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- Report: Specialty pharmacy to account for half of all prescription revenue by 2018
DEERFIELD, Ill. — Walgreens on Wednesday announced it is offering more than $10 million worth of free flu shot vouchers to Americans without health insurance coverage. The Department of Health and Human Services is assisting in the distribution of the vouchers in markets across the country.
“With the help and support of HHS, we’ve been able to provide free access to flu vaccine to people in need and improve immunization rates in underserved communities,” stated Kermit Crawford, Walgreens president of pharmacy, health and wellness services and solutions. “Together, and with the ongoing dedication of our pharmacists, Take Care Clinic nurse practitioners and other immunizations-trained clinicians, we’re making an impact and helping to keep people healthy throughout the flu season.”
“Last season, more than 40% of Americans got their flu shots but there are still millions of people who are without adequate insurance and unable to afford one," HHS secretary Kathleen Sebelius said. "This generous donation is helping many people who otherwise might not be protected from influenza. HHS looks forward to working with local community pharmacies as we continue to reduce health disparities and make it possible for more individuals and families to get their annual flu vaccine.”
Local public health officials, in conjunction with HHS regional health administrators, already have begun distributing the vouchers through a variety of community outreach efforts, including through many local health agencies and select community partner organizations. More than 300,000 vouchers are available to eligible U.S. residents.
Vouchers are good for one flu shot at any Walgreens pharmacy (excluding Puerto Rico), Duane Reade pharmacy in New York or Take Care Clinic, and are subject to the terms and conditions on the voucher.