- Supervalu sells 877 stores, reuniting Albertsons under one operator
- Supervalu announces slowdown of price position overhaul as buyout speculation populates newswires
- Retailers, suppliers recover, provide relief in Sandy's aftermath
- Crain's: Klaff Realty eyeing Supervalu's Jewel-Osco business
- Supervalu will continue to focus on value pricing, hyperlocal merchandising in fiscal 2013
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Supervalu customers that cash in their coins at in-store Coinstar kiosks can do so for free when they select the Supervalu gift card option, Coinstar announced.
The no-fee option will be available in about 1,000 stores that operate under the Supervalu banner, including such chains as Acme, Albertsons, Jewel-Osco and more, by next month.
Supervalu and Coinstar began their collaboration on the gift card project last January in approximately 78 Albertsons stores located in Washington and Oregon.
"We are very pleased with the results of the pilot program with Coinstar and look forward to a program expansion starting in June," said Mark Schumacher, Supervalu's director of financial services. "This agreement provides our customers the opportunity to receive the full value of their coins with no fees when they choose the gift card option."
Added Mike Skinner, president of Coinstar's coin business, "We're delighted to be moving forward on this exciting new project with Supervalu and look forward to maximizing the potential increase in both trips and shopping basket size at Supervalu stores. There's approximately $10 billion in coins across the [United States] waiting to be converted, and this gives consumers a compelling option for turning those coins into something of great value."