- Supervalu commits to fixing retail banners, reports positive IDs for Save-A-Lot
- Safeway begins exit of Chicago market
- Report: Jewel-Osco president Emmons to retire
- Two Supervalu board members, both with Cerberus, resign in wake of Safeway/Albertsons deal
- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
BELLEVUE, Wash. — Supervalu customers that cash in their coins at in-store Coinstar kiosks can do so for free when they select the Supervalu gift card option, Coinstar announced.
The no-fee option will be available in about 1,000 stores that operate under the Supervalu banner, including such chains as Acme, Albertsons, Jewel-Osco and more, by next month.
Supervalu and Coinstar began their collaboration on the gift card project last January in approximately 78 Albertsons stores located in Washington and Oregon.
"We are very pleased with the results of the pilot program with Coinstar and look forward to a program expansion starting in June," said Mark Schumacher, Supervalu's director of financial services. "This agreement provides our customers the opportunity to receive the full value of their coins with no fees when they choose the gift card option."
Added Mike Skinner, president of Coinstar's coin business, "We're delighted to be moving forward on this exciting new project with Supervalu and look forward to maximizing the potential increase in both trips and shopping basket size at Supervalu stores. There's approximately $10 billion in coins across the [United States] waiting to be converted, and this gives consumers a compelling option for turning those coins into something of great value."