- Walmart, Walgreens, Supervalu join First Lady to combat food deserts
- Supervalu will continue to focus on value pricing, hyperlocal merchandising in fiscal 2013
- Supervalu expands Nutrition iQ program
- Supervalu completes deal with AB Acquisition
- Supervalu sells 877 stores, reuniting Albertsons under one operator
MINNEAPOLIS — Supervalu on Tuesday announced plans to reduce its national work force by an estimated 800 positions. A majority of these reductions will take place by the close of the company’s fiscal year on Feb. 25, 2012. The reductions include both current positions and open jobs that will not be filled.
“These reductions are necessary to help further strengthen and accelerate Supervalu's business turnaround in a very competitive marketplace," Supervalu president and CEO Craig Herkert said. “While the announcement of a work force reduction is difficult news to share, due to its direct impact on our associates, these changes will allow us to better connect with customers and put more authority in the hands of people who interact more closely with our customers.”
In general, store level associates are not affected by this announcement, the grocer stated.