- Bitcoin gains popularity among retailers
- GN ReSound launches hearing aid compatible with Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod
- Sephora launches social shopping platform to share, tag beauty looks
- Bitcoin payment service chief executive touts e-currency as federal authorities signal openness to it
- Reports: Amazon hopes to deliver packages by drone
QUINCY, Mass. — Stop & Shop officially has launched a next-generation scanner via a mobile application.
Stop & Shop said its Scan It! Mobile app allows customers to complete an entire shopping trip on their iPhone 3GS or 4G. As previously reported by Drug Store News, the app, developed in partnership with Modiv Media, allows customers to scan items with their phone's camera. Once the shopping is complete, the information is relayed to the checkout register, thus speeding up the checkout process.
“It’s about customer choice,” said Mark McGowan, president of Stop & Shop's New England division. “We’ve received tremendous feedback on our Scan It! technology because it allows customers to simplify their shopping experience — from tracking their budgets while they shop to reducing their time in the store. We understand that mobile apps are changing the way consumers shop and are excited to be the first supermarket company in the United States to offer this option to customers.”
The app can be downloaded at StopAndShop.com/ScanItMobile or the Apple App Store.