- Bitcoin gains popularity among retailers
- L’Oréal Paris brings beauty to NYC subway system with breakthrough vending experience
- FTC grants early termination of waiting period for Kroger, Harris Teeter deal
- Walgreens' corporate operations VP tapped to lead health care for Boots in U.K. and Ireland
- Walgreens discusses digital transformation at recent I Heart APIs conference
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Harris Teeter has appointed a lead independent director for its board.
Harris Teeter's board — which recently approved an amendment to the company's bylaws to permit such a role — said that Robert Spilman Jr. would serve as lead independent director. Spilman, who has been on the retailer's board since 2002, will preside at the executive sessions of nonmanagement and independent directors, serve as the principal liaison between the chairman of the board and the independent directors, as well as consult with the chairman of the board regarding information to be sent to the board, meeting agendas and establishing meeting schedules.
Spilman will continue to serve as chairman of the board's corporate governance and nominating committee.
In related news, Harris Teeter's board declared a quarterly dividend of 14 cents per share to be paid on Oct. 1 to shareholders of record on Sept. 7.