- Nielsen survey: Price most persuasive when incentivizing brand switch; improved features least influential
- ‘Out of this world’ display takes top nod in annual Design of the Times awards
- Rexall taps savvy vet Kelly for top merchant role
- Peter McMahon appointed as Shopko CEO
- Family Dollar elevates Jason Reiser to chief merchandising officer; president and COO Michael Bloom departs
GREEN BAY, Wis. — Mass merchandise chain Shopko has added 70 new items to its line of private-label products, the company said Monday.
Amid the 350-store chain's 50-year anniversary, Shopko said the products were mostly health, beauty and cleaning products. A further 175 products will be introduced in 2013 across personal care, over-the-counter and general merchandise categories, including skin care, sun care, hair care, laundry detergent, cleaning supplies, vitamins, oral care, incontinence, diapers and shaving. Shopko introduced private-label products about five years ago and has expanded the number of products to more than 700 across product categories.
"We test all of our products against the national brand equivalent to assure that our product quality meets or exceeds that of the national brand," Shopko SVP product development and general merchandise manager for consumables Tom Abbott said. "Our research has found that Shopko brand products are as good as or better than the national brands, but at a fraction of the price, which is a welcome benefit to our customers in this economy. Customers appreciate that they are getting the high-quality products they desire, while enjoying the savings that our private-brand offers."