- Peter McMahon appointed as Shopko CEO
- Shopko offers interim supplies of drugs to insurance marketplace enrollees
- Shopko to open two Hometown stores next year, further expanding small format
- Shopko Hometown Foundation to donate up to $2,000 per store to school districts
- Shopko supports breast cancer research in new merchandising campaign
GREEN BAY, Wis. – The philanthropic arm of mass merchandise chain Shopko is donating money to fund scholarships for the 2013-2014 academic year.
The Shopko Foundation announced the donation of $75,000 in $2,500 scholarships to 30 students in 10 states. The philanthropy has donated $375,000 since 2005 through its Teammate and Family Scholarship Program.
"The Shopko Foundation is committed to promoting healthy lifestyles and educational opportunities for our neighbors in all the communities where we serve," Shopko COO and interim CEO Mike Bettiga said. "We understand that, more than ever, education is the pathway to opportunity. It is our privilege to recognize these outstanding students and support them as they build the foundation for fulfilled and productive lives."
The scholarships were awarded through a competitive process based on academic records, leadership, community activities, honors and goals, the group said.