- Shoppers Drug Mart report: Allowing pharmacists in Canada to immunize could save lives, money
- Walgreens partners with United Nations Foundation's Shot@Life campaign
- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
- Have you had your flu shot this year?
- Shot@Life program ambassador Amanda Peet gets flu shot in NYC Walgreens to support 'Get a Shot, Give a Shot'
SWIFTWATER, Pa. — Sanofi's vaccines division is targeting people who have not received vaccinations against flu this season in an effort to encourage them to do so.
Sanofi Pasteur announced Thursday the launch of its "The FLUgitives" campaign. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends annual flu vaccinations for everyone ages 6 months and older, but according to the CDC, about 20% of the population gets the flu each year, while 226,000 people are hospitalized from flu-related complications.
"Because flu season can begin as early as October and last through May, the best prevention for those planning to get their annual flu shot is to get it as early as possible in the season, allowing your body time to build up its immunity," Washington-based Sibley Memorial Hospital vice chairman of internal medicine Carlos Picone said in a statement on behalf of the vaccine maker. "There's no need to be a FLUgitive this year; speak with your healthcare provider about vaccination and your vaccination options, including Fluzone Intradermal vaccine."
Fluzone Intradermal is a product made by Sanofi Pasteur.
The campaign, which includes the #FLUgitives Twitter hashtag, breaks down people who fail to get vaccinated into four archetypes: "The Scaredy Cat," whose anxieties delay getting the vaccine; "The Turbo Mom," whose hectic schedule leaves little time to focus on health; "The Latest and Greatest Guy," who wants the newest version of everything, but has yet to learn about the latest in vaccine-delivery technology; and "The Fitness Fanatic," who puts workouts before everything, including health.