- Salix Pharmaceuticals introduces Rx topical foam to treat a form of inflammatory bowel disease
- Novo Nordisk launches new insulin device
- FDA approves easy-to-use injectable methotrexate for RA, psoriasis, juvenile arthritis
- Antares announces availability of injectable methotrexate product for arthritis, psoriasis
- Appropriations bill to boost funding for Lupus Research Institute's education program
BENTONVILLE, Ark. — Mass merchandiser Sam's Club is offering a free women's health screening in recognition of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the chain said Tuesday.
Sam's Club pharmacies will offer all women, including members and nonmembers, free thyroid health tests on Oct. 8 between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., including the TSH test for thyroid disorders, blood pressure and body mass index tests. Thyroid disease affects millions of people in the United States — mostly women — and is often a symptom of other health issues and can lead to serious conditions, such as cancer and infertility.
"The estimated number of people with undiagnosed thyroid disease may be 10%," Sam's Club SVP health and wellness Jill Turner-Mitchael said. "A woman faces as high as a 1-in-5 chance of developing thyroid problems during her lifetime, and that risk increases with age and for those with a family history of thyroid problems."