- Safeway confirms grocer is exploring possible sale
- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
- Safeway, Albertsons merger proceeds to next step as 'go-shop' period expires
- Safeway receives FTC request for additional information
- Safeway receives 2014 Military Officers Association of America's Distinguished Service Award
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway has launched a personal call to action that directly involves and rewards employees and shoppers.
The "Heart of Safeway Pledge" extends the retailer's corporate social responsibility commitment and invites employees and shoppers to take simple, everyday steps — such as using energy-conserving light bulbs, taking a 15-minute walk three times a week or eating healthier foods — to benefit people and their communities.
Those interested in taking a pledge can do so by logging on to Safeway.com/csr. All participants who make their "Heart of Safeway Pledge" through Oct. 31 also will be entered for a chance to win 1-of-50 $100 Safeway gift cards. Additionally, the first 25,000 participants to make a personal pledge will be rewarded with a CSR-themed store coupon for $1 off fresh produce. For each pledge, The Safeway Foundation will donate $1 to benefit Feeding America and Food Banks Canada, contributing up to $25,000 to hunger relief.
"Imagine if every employee and shopper took the pledge – the net effect would be far greater than anything we could accomplish on our own," said Larree Renda, Safeway EVP and chair of The Safeway Foundation. "As a neighborhood store, we're already a part of people's daily lives, and our CSR commitments are truly the 'Heart of Safeway.' We see the pledge and coupon as our opportunity to inspire people to take actions and make purchases that directly benefit them and add up to a greater good."