- Safeway confirms grocer is exploring possible sale
- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
- Safeway names new Eastern Division president
- Safeway completes sale of Canadian operations to Sobeys
- Safeway awarded Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway on Tuesday afternoon announced that Canada's Competition Bureau has entered into a consent agreement with Sobeys, allowing the parties to proceed with their transaction whereby Sobeys will acquire the net assets of Canada Safeway.
The parties now expect to close the transaction in early November 2013.
As part of the consent agreement, Sobeys has agreed to divest 23 stores — 13 Canada Safeway stores and 10 Sobeys stores.