- Safeway names new Eastern Division president
- Safeway begins exit of Chicago market
- Safeway 1-of-15 employers receiving the 2013 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
- In wake of Sobeys' deal, Safeway reports 1.2% quarterly increase in same-store sales
- Reuters: Safeway a target for possible buyout
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway on Tuesday named Al Duran to the role of president of the company's Denver division. He replaces Scott Grimmett, who is leaving Safeway for an opportunity with a noncompeting food retailer, the company stated.
"Al's results-oriented leadership style and experience on both the retail and the marketing side of our business will serve him well in his new assignment," Safeway chairman, president and CEO Steve Burd said. "He is also a Colorado native and knows that market well."
Duran joined Safeway's Denver division in 1979, and worked his way through the company's ranks including senior retail operations and marketing positions in the Safeway's Phoenix and Dominick's divisions. He joined Safeway's corporate team in 2009 as VP retail Initiatives.