- Safeway launches 'at-the-shelf' SimpleNutrition program
- Conversocial tallies consumer complaint social media scorecard for U.S. retailers
- Safeway prepares to exit Philadelphia market
- Safeway partners with Avril Lavigne for annual Support for People with Disabilities campaign
- Safeway expands health-and-wellness brand portfolio with Open Nature
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway announced it is teaming up with Kraft Foods, customers, local food banks and broadcast partners to collect food donations at all Safeway stores now through Dec. 24, through the retailer's Help Us End Hunger (Every Bag Counts) food drive.
As part of the campaign, Safeway has created a specially produced shopping bag filled with the items that food banks need the most. The bag, which will be available for $10 at all Safeway stores, includes:
Chicken of the Sea chunk white tuna;
Kraft Nabisco premium crackers;
Kraft macaroni and cheese;
Pantry Essentials canned vegetables;
Safeway spaghetti or macaroni (1-lb. package);
Safeway long grain rice (2-lb. package);
Safeway stuffing; and
Safeway cranberry sauce.
Additionally, Kraft Foods will provide a special holiday gift in the form of a grant to several food banks in each of Safeway's U.S. operating divisions, a total commitment of $400,000. The cash donation will help the food banks provide roughly 2 million meals, Safeway said.
"Assisting people who need help during the holidays and throughout the year is a Safeway priority," said Larree Renda, Safeway EVP and chair of The Safeway Foundation. "This campaign provides an opportunity for us to help make a brighter holiday for countless families."