- Safeway 1-of-15 employers receiving the 2013 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
- Reuters: Safeway a target for possible buyout
- Safeway begins exit of Chicago market
- In wake of Sobeys' deal, Safeway reports 1.2% quarterly increase in same-store sales
- Safeway awarded Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
PLEASANTON, Calif. — In effort to further its commitment to sustainability, Safeway's private-label Softly bath and facial tissue and Ultra Thirsty paper towels now are certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and the Rainforest Alliance.
Safeway's paper products earned the FSC seal by being produced from fiber sourced from suppliers who have been independently certified to follow the strictest standards in sustainable, ethical forestry management and production chain controls.
"With forest resources under stress, it is important we lead by walking the talk in our environmental specifications for paper and help drive meaningful sustainability improvements in the supply chain," Safeway VP strategic sourcing Don Davidson said.
For green shoppers, Safeway also offers a line of paper products made from 100% recycled paper.