Safe Kids USA, Energizer partner to warn parents, caregivers about button battery ingestion

ST. LOUIS and WASHINGTON — A new partnership between Safe Kids USA and Energizer will share information with parents and caregivers about the potential risks of children swallowing coin-sized lithium batteries.

“As demand grows for smaller, slimmer and sleeker electronic devices, the number of coin lithium batteries to power them grows as well,” Energizer director of marketing Stacey Harbour said. “We are partnering with Safe Kids USA to help spread the word to parents, grandparents, sitters and caregivers that children are at risk of opening these devices and swallowing the batteries inside. By keeping these batteries and devices away from children, this danger can be averted.”

The Battery Controlled partnership provides such resources as fact sheets, video and more on its website,, as well as via social media pages. Additionally, tips for prevention and treatment will be distributed through Safe Kids USA’s network of 600 coalitions and chapters throughout the country.

“Parents and other caregivers often don’t realize that coin-sized button batteries are included in devices they buy,” Safe Kids USA president Meri-K Appy said. “Too often, these devices are left within reach of young children. Car keys with electronic fobs, for example, are often shared with children for their amusement. The batteries inside, if swallowed, can get stuck in a child’s throat and cause serious injury and even death.”

According to Dr. Toby Litovitz of the National Capital Poison Center, who is an adviser to the partnership, more than 3,400 swallowing cases reported in the United States in 2010.

Login or Register to post a comment.