Report: Alabama pharmacy's water faucet contaminated with bacteria

Nine deaths reported in state

NEW YORK — Nine people died in Alabama last month after taking a compounded injectable supplement contaminated with bacteria, according to published reports.

The New York Times reported that the patients died of infections with Serratia marcescens bacteria in hospitals after receiving the intravenously administered supplement total parenteral nutrition from the Birmingham, Ala.-based compounding pharmacy Meds IV Pharmacy.

The bacteria were in a water faucet that was used to clean the containers in which the supplement was mixed and the stirring device used to mix it, the Times reported.

Login or Register to post a comment.