- Federal government must find alternatives to rescheduling hydrocodone combination drugs
- CVS Caremark study: More education needed on genetic testing in prescribing antiplatelet drugs
- Green Smoke e-cigarettes launches a new and reusable carrying case
- Actavis seeks approval for generic opioid-dependence drug
- Perrigo recalls APAP infant suspension liquid due to the possibility of missing dose markings on the dosing syringe
ALLEGAN, Mich. — Perrigo on Thursday announced that it has received approval from the Food and Drug Administration to market a cinnamon-flavored, over-the-counter coated nicotine polacrilex gum USP in 2-mg and 4-mg strengths.
The product will be marketed under store-brand labels and is comparable with GlaxoSmithKline's Nicorette Cinnamon Surge coated gum, a stop-smoking aid.
"This approval of coated cinnamon nicotine gum extends our leading store-brand position. The expanded range of smoking-cessation products also includes coated mint-flavored gum, coated fruit wave, uncoated gum and lozenges," Perrigo's chairman and CEO Joseph Papa said.
Nicorette Cinnamon Surge gum is selling at an annual rate estimated at more than $40 million across all retail outlets, Perrigo estimated. The new store-brand smoking-cessation line extension is expected to ship this fall.