- Federal government must find alternatives to rescheduling hydrocodone combination drugs
- FDA gives tentative approval to Mylan's generic Crestor
- FDA approves Jubilant Life Sciences' quetiapine fumarate tablets
- Actavis launches generic version of Opana ER
- Actavis seeks approval for generic opioid-dependence drug
WOODCLIFF LAKE, N.J. — Par Pharmaceutical Cos. has contracted with AstraZeneca to distribute an authorized generic version of a drug used to treat high blood pressure, Par said.
Par announced that it had entered a supply and distribution agreement through subsidiary Par Pharmaceutical to distribute an authorized generic version of Atacand HCT (i.e., candesartan cilexetil and hydrochlorothiazide) tablets.
An authorized generic is a branded drug marketed under its generic name at a discounted price, usually through a third-party company.
Par has started shipping the drug in the 16/12.5-mg, 32/12.5-mg and 32/25-mg strengths. Atacand HCT has annual sales of aboutt $61 million, according to IMS Health.