- Rite Aid posts third consecutive quarterly profit as company expands Wellness+
- Rite Aid launches marketing campaign for Wellness65+
- Nielsen survey: Price most persuasive when incentivizing brand switch; improved features least influential
- Study finds double-digit growth in drug store loyalty programs
- Nielsen: Marks of innovative products
PHOENIX — Nielsen on Tuesday awarded its 14 Breakthrough Innovation Winners for 2013 at the company's Consumer 360 event here.
“What’s fascinating about this year’s Breakthrough Innovation Award winners is their diversity,” stated Rob Wengel, SVP innovation, Nielsen. ”No matter the industry or category, Breakthrough Innovation is possible where there is a vision for innovation, pervasive leadership to drive support, and alignment throughout the organization to make it happen.“
The winners are:
- Allegra Allergy;
- Colgate Optic White;
- Dannon Oikos Greek Yogurt;
- Downy Unstopables In Wash Scent Booster;
- Fiber One 90 Calorie Brownies;Magnum Ice Cream;
- Milo’s Kitchen Home-Style Dog Treats;
- MiO Liquid Water Enhancer;
- Monster Rehab;
- Velveeta Cheesy Skillets;
- Reese's Minis;
- Skinny Cow Candy;
- Sparkling ICE; and
- Special K Cracker Chips.
This is the second year that Nielsen has presented the award. Nielsen conducted an extended analysis of 3,439 new consumer product introductions in the U.S. during 2011 to determine which products demonstrated breakthrough results. To earn the title of Breakthrough Innovation Winner, a product needed to deliver a new value proposition to the market, generate year-one U.S. sales of $50 million or greater in Nielsen-measured channels (including food, drug, convenience, dollar club and mass) and achieve at least 90% of year-one sales in year two. This measure confirms a sustained level of consumer demand while allowing for some revenue consolidation during the transition from trial to repeat, the company stated.
“Breakthrough Innovation companies achieve uncommon results because of their ability to pursue, shape, develop and activate insights that deliver what consumers demand,” noted Taddy Hall, SVP Nielsen. “These winners challenged convention and triumphed by expanding or transforming categories. It is through their unencumbered, demand-driven development that Breakthrough Winners create visible separation from the pack.”
Get connected and follow us on LinkedIn for the most in-depth coverage of drug store news. Join the conversation.