NEW YORK Nexxus Salon Hair Care has partnered with Locks of Love, a group that provides children suffering from long-term medical hair loss with hairpieces and wigs, to educate women and men on how to properly donate their hair to the charity.
Through the partnership, Nexxus Salon Hair Care and Locks of Love has created a video tutorial to educate interested donors and their stylists on the proper steps to donate. The video can be found at www.Nexxus.com. The main steps are:
- Hair must be at least 10 inches from tip to tip
- Hair must be secured in a ponytail or braid before it is cut; and the cut must be made above the hair elastic
- Hair must be clean and completely dry before it is mailed
- Ponytail should be placed in a plastic bag and then into an envelope
- Include the hair donation form you find at www.LocksofLove.org so they can acknowledge the donation.
In addition to producing the video, Nexxus made a donation of $10,000 to the organization to help defray operating costs and to help fund research in finding a cure for alopecia areata, which is an autoimmune disease that causes a person’s hair to fall out. Over the past two years, Locks of Love has expanded their efforts in the search for a cure by awarding research grants to the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine.
To date, the non-profit organization has provided more than 2,000 children in all 50 states and Canada with hairpieces. Most of the children who receive hairpieces suffer from the medical condition alopecia areata.