- Shoppers Drug Mart report: Allowing pharmacists in Canada to immunize could save lives, money
- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
- Walgreens partners with United Nations Foundation's Shot@Life campaign
- PhRMA report lists 271 vaccines in development
- Walgreens partners with Chicago Public Schools and city health department on Tdap vaccination project
ALISO VIEJO, Calif. — A group pushing to increase the number of people vaccinated against influenza has a deal with a Midwestern retailer to encourage vaccination in the region.
PrescribeWellness announced Tuesday that Meijer had joined its "A Million More" flu shot initiative. The partnership with Meijer will include a campaign at all 199 Meijer pharmacies in the Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky markets and is targeted toward young, healthy people who don't feel at risk for serious illness, encouraging them to get flu shots to protect people who are at risk.
The Centers for Disease Control recommends that everyone ages 6 months and older get a flu shot, particularly to prevent the flu in those who are at risk of serious complications, such as infants and the elderly.
"More than 70% of healthcare costs are controllable with personal actions," PrescribeWellness CEO Al Babbington said. "The healthcare debate is surging right now, so this is the time to raise awareness about the importance of preventative health care and how something as simple as getting a flu shot can help lower the cost of care."
The campaign also includes a contest that runs through Dec. 31 in which patients who check in at the pharmacy through Facebook will be entered into a random drawing to win $1 million.
"Meijer is proud to support the 'A Million More' vaccination campaign because it highlights our commitment to offering healthy living solutions to our customers," Meijer VP pharmacy operations Karen Mankowski said. "The flu shot is a powerful yet simple way to create healthier communities, and our customers can get one at their convenience at all Meijer pharmacies."