- Reports: Polar vortex drives blizzard of sales for some retailers
- CVS Caremark to stop selling tobacco in all store locations
- Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash Ointment
- Meijer offers free flu, strep tests and dispenses drugs at some Mich. stores as part of NACDS Foundation-supported study
- Meijer launches complimentary Wi-Fi service in its stores
TROY, Mich. — Five regional retailers — including mass-merchandisers Meijer and Fred Meyer — are selling a mobile point-of-sale credit card processing system compatible with most smartphones and tablets in their stores.
PayAnywhere consists of an app and small credit card reader that hooks on to an Apple iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android or BlackBerry device and allows for payment on the spot. In addition to Meijer and Fred Meyer, Walmart and other retailers such as Brandsmart, Hastings Entertainment, MicroCenter, OfficeMax, Home Depot and Pep Boys sell the system as well. PayAnywhere is aimed at small businesses that want to be able to accept credit cards.
"Many business owners and professional contractors prefer to 'shop locally' when they can to support their regional retailers," PayAnywhere VP sales Scott Addyman said. "The ability to purchase the PayAnywhere reader from these retailers is important to them."