NEW YORK — Em michelle phan, a start-up brand from the L’Oréal Luxe group, marks the first makeup line co-created by a community of beauty lovers and YouTube beauty vlogger Michelle Phan.
The line launched this month and is available at emcosmetics.com.
"Beauty lovers are increasingly consuming and sharing information digitally, through online communities. We saw the power of these communities and wanted to meet them where they live — online. Michelle Phan's expertise in makeup, plus her passion for teaching and empowering women has made her a digital phenomenon. She represents exactly what this line is all about — community, empowerment, artistry," stated Carol Hamilton, president of L'Oréal Luxe.
Phan is self-taught and was one of the first beauty vloggers to produce story-driven makeup tutorials. The YouTube beauty guru began uploading tutorials in 2007. To-date, she has garnered nearly 1 billion views and has 4.5 million subscribers.
Em, a Vietnamese word meaning "you," is used affectionately to address loved ones including a little sister, girlfriend or elder. It is also literally and figuratively a reflection of "me" — it is a makeup line that reflects the needs of Phan’s community. The community has been a part of every piece of the brand, providing input on launch products, shade names and product packaging. Community members also appear in package design, brand photography and on the em michelle phan website.
At launch, em michelle phan will be sold exclusively online to U.S. customers at emcosmetics.com. Created to offer a social e-commerce experience, the site will allow beauty lovers to interact with friends and other consumers, provide feedback on creating looks and the products and share on their own social media channels. The makeup brand's site is designed to enhance the digital shopping experience.
The em michelle phan line is comprised of more than 250 different SKUs. Hero products include:
- The Life Palette – Refillable eye shadow, cheek and lip palette with 36 shades each, themed around specific life moments and beauty stories including Love Life, Day Life, Beach Life, Career Life, Party Life and Night Life; priced at $75
- Artistic Cheek Color Palette available in 10 palettes; priced at $28
- Lip Color Mixing Palette available in six palettes; priced at $28
- Artistic Eye Color Palette available in 15 palettes; priced at $38
- The Great Cover Up – The ultimate creamy concealer in eight shades; priced at $19
- Makeup Mood Enhancer – Illuminating skin filter in five shades; priced at $25
- Pillow Plush – Cushiony lip balm in seven shades; priced at $15
- Chiaroscuro – Contour and highlighting stick in four shades; priced at $25
- Waterliner – Intense color eye liner in 12 shades; priced at $20