- Sears Holdings takes steps to improve Q3 performance
- Kmart, Sears offer early online holiday shopping for Shop Your Way members
- Share of sales from Shop Your Way members grows as Q4 2013 comps have fallen, Kmart parent company says
- Kmart, Sears offer free 90-day memberships in Shop Your Way Max
- Sears Holdings posts Q4 results, sees drop in comp sales at Kmart
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — Members of Kmart's loyalty card program can use low-cost check cashing services at stores, the chain said Tuesday.
Kmart announced the launch of the check cashing service, for Shop Your Way members, at stores nationwide. For $3 or less, members with a valid identification card can cash checks and receive cash for government checks up to $2,000, payroll checks up to $1,500 and personal checks up to $400. According to a 2011 study by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., more than 28% of households either don't have bank accounts or underuse them, conducting financial transactions outside the banking system. About 10 million households lack a bank account.
"With the addition of check cashing to our Kmart financial services portfolio, our Shop Your Way members now have the convenience of cashing checks where they shop, saving them time and money," VP financial services of parent company Sears Holdings Jai Holtz said. "Along with Kmart's other financial services offerings, including layaway, walk-in bill pay, money transfer, money orders, ATMs and prepaid debit cards and reloads, we are providing one-stop shopping for our members' needs."
Like this story? Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news. Join the conversation.