- Sears Holdings takes steps to improve Q3 performance
- Share of sales from Shop Your Way members grows as Q4 2013 comps have fallen, Kmart parent company says
- Kmart, Sears offer early online holiday shopping for Shop Your Way members
- Kmart, Sears offer free 90-day memberships in Shop Your Way Max
- Sears Holdings posts Q4 results, sees drop in comp sales at Kmart
HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. — Kmart has removed its layaway service fee both in stores and online through Nov. 17.
The mass retailer, which offers the program year round, said the decision to make the program free "emphasizes the company's commitment to delivering value and convenience to customers, acknowledging family budgets are strained during the holiday."
"At Kmart, we understand the excitement holidays bring, and the budget concerns that come with them," Sears Holdings VP financial services Jai Holtz said. "By providing free layaway we want to help make holiday shopping less stressful."
Several other retailers have reported the reduction of their layaway program fees, including Walmart.