- The 10 products you may have missed at Natural Products Expo East
- Sneakz shake gets national launch
- Supervalu commits to fixing retail banners, reports positive IDs for Save-A-Lot
- Clif Bar introduces Clif Mojo Fruit & Nut and Clif Mojo Dark Chocolate
- Two Supervalu board members, both with Cerberus, resign in wake of Safeway/Albertsons deal
ITASCA, Ill. — Supervalu banner Jewel-Osco on Wednesday announced its "Eating Healthy with my Diabetes" in-store tour schedule for 2011. The free educational tours are designed to help customers learn to choose better-for-you foods and promote healthy eating, while incorporating foods they love into their meal plans.
Specially trained pharmacists and registered dietitians guide the in-store tours, covering such topics as reading nutrition facts labels and identifying healthier food options, including high-fiber grains and choices that boast lower saturated fat. Tour content is geared for those who have diabetes and also extends to friends, family members and others who may be able to take action now to delay or stop their own diagnosis of diabetes.
"Managing diabetes is about understanding the importance of balanced nutrition, regular meals and choosing from a variety of food groups throughout the day,” Jewel-Osco registered dietitian Kim Kirchherr said. “Our tours help customers discover how they can enjoy controlled portions from every food group and eat things they like, including what they need to help manage their blood sugar.”
Jewel-Osco’s Eating Healthy with my Diabetes tours will run through early December.