- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
- Safeway confirms grocer is exploring possible sale
- Safeway, Albertsons merger proceeds to next step as 'go-shop' period expires
- Safeway receives FTC request for additional information
- Safeway deal is more than the sum of its parts
SEATTLE — InMarket is piloting its iBeacons offering in select Safeway and Giant Eagle stores beginning Tuesday, according to published reports.
The small, low-power Bluetooth transmitters work in tandem with iPhones running iOS 7 and is part of inMarket’s Mobile to Mortar program, which will deliver saving incentives to shoppers and increase sales for vendors. The iBeacons will be installed at the entry of each store. When the app detects an iBeacon at the entryway of a store, it will push a coupon or other discount to the customer’s phone.
The initial rollout will incorporate 200 stores in the Seattle, San Francisco and Cleveland markets.