- Study: Cough-cold manufacturers' voluntary label change on pediatric products reduced ER admissions
- Study: 2,000 IUs of vitamin E daily effective in slowing functional decline in AD patients
- ROUNDTABLE: Improving patient outcomes, controlling costs with OTCs
- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- Appropriations bill to boost funding for Lupus Research Institute's education program
CHATSWORTH, Calif. — Hugo Naturals, a maker of natural personal care products, has received the gluten-free seal from the Celiac Sprue Association, designating the company's full range of products as gluten-free and appropriate for the growing population with celiac disease.
Celiac disease is a genetic autoimmune disease trigged by gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley, rye and oats. The disease affects about 1-in-130 people, and a diet and lifestyle free of wheat, barley, rye and oats will alleviate the symptoms and help prevent the onset of related illnesses, such as osteoporosis.
"As celiac disease diagnoses become increasingly commonplace, more and more people are seeking out products that will help them better manage their symptoms," stated Hugo Saavedra, co-founder of Hugo Naturals. "Third-party certification is necessary to keep consumers informed, and to have the CSA recognize us with its seal, showing that we are a wholesome choice for those with celiac disease, is an honor."
Initiated in 2004, the CSA Recognition Seal Program marked the first of its kind in the United States. To qualify, Hugo Naturals provided the CSA with its specific procedures and policies for producing products and agreed to adhere to the CSA's standards for processing and packaging.
Hugo Naturals products are sold at select food and independent health and beauty retail channels throughout the United States and Canada.