- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- CVS' Merlo: Health reform to benefit business in 2014
- Target unveils contest to fuel innovation in health care
- Kroger to acquire Harris Teeter for $2.5 billion
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
MATTHEWS, N.C. — On the same day Bi-Lo Holdings acquired 22 Piggly Wiggly locations, Harris Teeter Supermarkets also acquired six Piggly Wiggly locations as well as one future location all in the Charleston, S.C., area.
The transaction is expected to be completed in October 2013. Harris Teeter plans to close the acquired stores for three to four days for stocking and training of employees. The pharmacies at the acquired stores will remain open throughout the transition, the grocer announced.
"Piggly Wiggly has a long tradition of operating customer-friendly stores in Charleston," stated Thomas Dickson, chairman and CEO, Harris Teeter. "These store locations and the dedicated associates who work in them make this an especially attractive transaction for Harris Teeter. We plan to remodel and expand a number of these locations to create brand new Harris Teeter stores to serve our customers," he said. "Charleston is a growing and vibrant market, and we look forward to continuing to expand our presence in the region."
Get connected and follow us on LinkedIn for the most in-depth coverage of drug store news. Join the conversation.