- Abbott launches Glucerna Advance RTD to provide nutritional benefits for those with diabetes
- Packaged Facts: Sports drinks, nutrition bars a $10 billion business in 2013
- Cardinal Health invites independent pharmacy owners to ‘discover new horizons’ at RBC 2013
- IRI releases first NutriLink segmentation study
- New vitamin company to employ cause marketing as part of launch strategy
SAN ANTONIO — H-E-B recently started recruiting its 2014 class of 15 shoppers who will get their "healthy on" toward a grand prize of $10,000 in the Texas chain's Slim Down Showdown.
The challenge will begin in January, H-E-B noted, and will be accepting online applications through Nov. 1. H-E-B determines the grand prize winner using three metrics — overall health improvement, participation and fan engagement.
The contest begins with a week-long wellness program featuring presentations from many health and nutrition experts. Contestants receive a full medical screening to understand their current health status, and meet individually with nutrition and fitness experts.
Last year, the H-E-B Slim Down Showdown presented by Dole awarded $18,000 to three contestants who made the greatest gains in health improvement and fan engagement over a three-month period. Hailing from all across Texas, last year's 25 contestants lost more than 700 pounds and showed off their healthier frames across their 990 blog entries that tracked their progress for their fans.
H-E-B first introduced the Slim Down Showdown in 2010 as part of Healthy at H-E-B, a comprehensive, long-term commitment to improve the health of Texans and provide them with fresh, healthy food that is affordable and easy to prepare.