- ACA stands: Supreme Court rules law is a tax
- Giant-Landover appoints Gayle Shields as director of pharmacy operations
- New alliance will crack down on adulterated products touting dietary supplement claims
- Anthony Hucker to head Giant-Landover
- Pharmacy, consumer groups put full-court press on Washington to block 'pernicious effects' of ESI-Medco merger
WASHINGTON — The head of Ahold USA's Giant-Landover banner has pledged the supermarket chain's support for the Department of Defense's Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve.
Giant-Landover, officially Giant Food of Landover, Md., said president Anthony Hucker signed a statement of support for National Guard and reserve employees at the Brentwood Giant Food in Washington, accompanied by ESGR District of Columbia chairman George Alexander. Established in 1972, the ESGR develops and maintains employer support for the Guard and Reserve service.
"Supportive employers such as Giant Food are critical to maintaining the readiness and strength of the nation's Guard and Reserve units and allow guardsmen and reservists the opportunity to serve our country more effectively and with greater peace of mind," Alexander said. "By signing this statement of support, Giant sends a clear message they stand committed to their military employees and recognize the integrity, global perspective and proven leadership they bring to the workplace."
The signing coincided during Giant's Military Appreciation Month, which started March 1, which includes a hiring initiative aimed at members of the military and support for the USO of Metropolitan Washington and USO Delaware.