- Giant Eagle opens latest prototype
- Clif Bar names two corporate grand-prize winners of Luna contest
- Giant Eagle acquires Rx21 Specialty Pharmacy, enabling enhanced hepatitis C/organ transplant services
- FortiFX, celebrity chef Robert Irvine unveil new baked protein bars
- Pittsburgh wellness retailer expands presence in China
PITTSBURGH — Giant Eagle is celebrating its locally and regionally grown produce with a new video on its website.
The retailer said that it is taking several steps to educate consumers on which fruits and vegetables are at their peak season throughout the year, and is further relaying this message through its video, which can be viewed on the company's website.
“What we’ve found is that our customers associate in-season produce with peak freshness, better value and environmental consciousness,” Giant Eagle VP produce Craig Ignatz said. “No matter where it’s from — a local farm or the far side of the globe — we ask ourselves the same questions every day: how fast can we get it to our customers, and how fresh can it be?”
Ignatz also said that depending on the season, the produce Giant Eagle offers won’t necessarily be from our region, but may come from farther away where climate and growing conditions are ideal.
According to Giant Eagle, its customers annually consume:
56 million lbs. of bananas;
11 million lbs. of strawberries;
17 million ears of corn; and
Nearly 17 million lbs. of Idaho potatoes.
For information about Giant Eagle’s produce sourcing efforts, watch the video here.