- Safeway 1-of-15 employers receiving the 2013 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
- In wake of Sobeys' deal, Safeway reports 1.2% quarterly increase in same-store sales
- Reuters: Safeway a target for possible buyout
- Safeway begins exit of Chicago market
- Safeway awarded Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
CARLISLE, Pa. — The Federal Trade Commission has approved Giant Food Stores' proposal to acquire 15 Genuardi's stores from Safeway.
The announcement follows Giant's Jan. 5 announcement that it would acquire the Genuardi's stores, all of which are located in the greater Philadelphia market. Giant also noted that under the terms of a consent order approved by the FTC, the Genuardi's located in Newtown, Pa., will be purchased by Newtown Market and will be operated as a McCaffrey's supermarket.
Giant is working with Safeway to begin the store transition process. The dates for each store conversion will be announced in the near future.
"We are excited to welcome the former Genuardi's associates to the Giant family. We can't wait to introduce our unique combination of quality, selection and savings to more neighborhoods in greater Philadelphia," Giant Food Stores president Rick Herring said. "Customers can expect to find the same friendly faces when they shop at Giant."