- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
- Safeway, Albertsons merger proceeds to next step as 'go-shop' period expires
- Safeway receives FTC request for additional information
- Safeway confirms grocer is exploring possible sale
- Crossmark names Janet Carter-Smith VP
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Darren Singer, a 25-year GlaxoSmithKline veteran, has been named Safeway's SVP pharmacy, health and wellness, the retailer announced.
Singer will be responsible for retail pharmacy operations, specialty care, pharmacy services, compliance, benefit management and managed care for Safeway. He will report to Safeway's merchandising president, Kelly Griffith.
Prior to joining Safeway, Singer most recently served as GSK's VP strategic growth. He spent 25 years with GSK in various leadership roles, including VP marketing for OTC wellness, as well as president and general manager of the Block Drug, which GSK purchased in 2001.
“We are pleased to have someone of Darren’s caliber joining our executive team,” Griffith said. “His wealth of knowledge and proven track record in running some of the most visible and valuable brands in the pharmacy and wellness industry are well-suited to his leadership role at Safeway.”